A Michigan grandmother was sentenced to 22 years in prison this week after being convicted of killing her teenage grandson.

Seventy-five-year-old Sandra Layne was convicted of shooting her teenage grandson, 17-year-old Jonathan Hoffman, during a trial Thursday. The senior received 20 years for second-degree murder charges and a two-year sentence for using a gun to commit the crime, CBS News reported Thursday.

Layne’s attorney made a plea to prosecutors asking to shorten the sentence, stating she wouldn’t survive the duration of her prison stay. The grandmother will get an 11-month reprieve after serving time in prison prior to the conviction.

“I don’t know what else to say. I don’t want to die in jail,” said Layne, who apologized to her family. “I’m sorry for what I did. I apologize to everyone I’ve hurt, everyone. ... Sorry is too small a word,” she said.

Despite her mother's apology, the daughter of the convicted murderer and son of the victim, Jennifer Hoffman, asked for a harsh sentence.

“Do not show mercy. She showed no mercy when she planned, stalked and murdered my son in his bedroom. Sandra Layne is pure evil and if given the opportunity would surely kill again,” Hoffman said.

“Now I will never know the man he would become; I will never see him graduate. Now I have to celebrate his birthday at his grave site. ... The hardest part as a mother is knowing that he died in terror at the hands of a person he once loved and trusted," Hoffman said, according to the Detriot Free Press.

The teen’s father, Michael Hoffman, was unable to attend the trial, sending a letter to prosecutors that called Layne guilty, saying she ‘’put on her war paint and came in gunning for my boy.”

Layne reportedly killed Hoffman following what she called an altercation after a court-ordered drug test in 2011. The grandmother pleaded not guilty in July and claimed the teen hit and kicked her, causing her to fire shots in self-defense.

Layne previously told authorities that she fired the shots because she couldn’t see due to marijuana smoke in her Pontiac home.

Hoffman suffered a total of five gunshot wounds, telling a 911 dispatcher moments before his death, “I am going to die. Help,” according to the Daily News.

Prosecutors stated the recorded emergency call was a crucial piece of evidence in solving the case Thursday.