The U.S. Senate heard testimony on July 21 from those who have had family members killed by undocumented immigrants as they discussed immigration enforcement. GETTY IMAGES

A Mexican man living illegally in the U.S. was stopped by Ohio law enforcement and released weeks before he was charged in a crime spree on Monday that left one woman dead. Juan Emmanuel Razo-Ramirez, 35, is accused of attempting to rape a 14-year-old girl, shooting a woman in the arm, killing another woman in her home, then getting in a shootout with police in Lake County, Ohio, reported the Los Angeles Times.

Razo-Ramirez, who has no prior criminal record, was arrested Monday after police say that his violent day began with the attempted rape of a girl in a park in Painesville, about 30 miles northeast of Cleveland. He then later shot a woman who was biking with her children and killed a 60-year-old woman in her home in the neighboring town Concord Township. Razo-Ramirez was being held on a $10 million bond.

Lake County Sheriff Office questioned 35-year-old Razo-Ramirez on July 7 after responding to a report of suspicious activity. Deputies found him alone in a car in the town where he began his crime spree, and Chief Deputy Frank Leonbruno told that Razo-Ramirez was "in an area he had no permission to be on."

Border Protection officials were contacted because the deputies were unsure of Razo-Ramirez's status, and were told that he was an undocumented immigrant, but that officials did not want him detained. Razo-Ramirez had lived in the country for five years, they were told.

Razo-Ramirez pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and more charges are expected to be filed, according to CBS News. The Department of Homeland Security said it would pursue deportation.

The case comes almost four weeks after the fatal shooting of a 32-year-old San Francisco woman on July 1 by an undocumented immigrant. Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, who is charged with the murder of Kate Steinle, is a seven-time felon who had been deported to Mexico five times but was previously released from San Francisco Sheriff's Department custody -- against ICE's request for him to be held until he could be transferred to a federal facility -- prior to the fatal shooting. Lopez-Sanchez eventually pleaded not guilty to the charge.