• Mert Ney said he was not a religious extremist
  • Ney said he chanted 'Allahu Akbar' so that police will shoot him dead 
  • The victim’s mother was present in the court when he revealed details of the murder

A 22-year-old man, who stabbed a woman to death before running through the streets chanting "Allahu Akbar," said he pretended to be a terrorist so that the police could shoot him dead.

The story contains details that may be disturbing to some readers.

Mert Ney, who is on trial for murder at an Australian court, claimed he had watched the footage of the Christchurch massacre more than 20 times in the months before the attack, News.Com reported.

"I was just really obsessed with it … I couldn't keep my eyes off it," Ney told the NSW Supreme Court on Monday, adding that he was not a religious extremist.

The crime happened on Aug. 13, 2019, when Ney fatally stabbed Michaela Dunn, a sex worker, multiple times. He then ran through the streets chanting "Allahu Akbar" before stabbing another woman, identified as Linda Bo, who managed to survive the attack. He was finally detained by the public.

Ney said he had an appointment to meet Dunn and was sitting quietly on the couch for his turn. At the time, Dunn repeatedly asked him "Are you OK?," which provoked him to attack her, he told the court.

"This next bit is going to be pretty graphic," he warned as he recalled the details of the incident before the court. Ney said the woman "screamed pretty loud" and he "just started stabbing her in the neck to make her quiet."

"She grabbed my arms. I stabbed her everywhere," he said, adding that Dunn fought for life as she choked on her blood.

"It just wouldn't stop. It kept going on for a few seconds. I knew she was going to die. There were 20 or 30 stab wounds in her neck, she was going to die, there was no doubt about it," he said.

Ney also filmed himself with the woman's body, showing his bloody arms and sent it to a friend on Snapchat.

He told the court that after the murder, he knew there was no going back and had to "fully commit now to getting killed."

The court proceedings were attended by the victim's mother, Joanne Dunn, who broke down and at one point, left the courtroom for five minutes.

Prosecutors told the court that Ney was diagnosed with mental illness as a teenager. But, he began to abuse his prescription medication and became addicted.

Ney also told the court that he had been involuntarily committed to psychiatric hospitals in the past and didn't want it to happen again.

Ney pleaded guilty to Dunn's murder last year.

Woman Stabs Children
Representational image Getty Images/Ian Waldie