Netflix has issued a statement regarding the sexual assault allegations made against Kevin Spacey.

Just recently, Anthony Rapp confessed that the "House of Cards" star sexually assaulted him in 1986 when he was just 14 years old. In their statement responding to Spacey's scandal, the streaming giant expressed their dismay regarding the claims.

"Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey," Netflix and Media Rights capital said in a statement to Us Weekly on Monday. "In response to last night's revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time."

As for Spacey, the actor said he does not remember the alleged sexual assault encounter with Rapp. Nevertheless, he offered an apology to his fellow actor via Twitter. "I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor," Spacey wrote. "I'm beyond horrified to hear his story. I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years."

In his statement, Spacey also admitted that he has had relationships and romantic encounters with both men and women throughout his life. "I choose now to live as a gay man," he added.

What shocked "House of Cards" fans even more after Spacey's sexual assault news broke is the announcement that the series has been canceled. Spacey's role as the manipulative and murderous ex-president Francis Underwood in the series is career-defining. He also received praises from the critics.

Following Netflix's statement about Spacey's scandal, reports surfaced that the political drama is ending in Season 6. Although the "House of Cards" cancellation was announced in the middle of Spacey's controversy, Netflix had already decided to axe the series over the summer.

"House of Cards" Season 6 is still in production in Maryland. Its 13-episode final season is expected to premiere in mid-2018 on Netflix.

MEET IBT NEWS FROM BELOW CHANNELS

© Copyright IBTimes 2022. All rights reserved.