A pet dog’s nose was accidentally cut off during a grooming session at a center in Chester, Virginia.

Speaking to CBS-affiliated television station WTVR on Tuesday, Victoria Lawhorne, the dog’s owner, said the incident took place at the Petsmart on Jefferson Davis Highway on July 30.  Lawhorne said she rushed to a pet hospital after receiving a call that her dog received a cut during grooming.

“They called me and said my dog was rushed to the vet because he had got cut. They said he was moving a tiny bit too much and accidentally cut his nose,” she said.

She met the employees of the grooming center at the hospital who told her that "because they charge an arm and a leg here, we’re going to go to another vet and see what they say.”

“A piece of his nose was kind of missing and open up and like and you could see meat inside and blood. It was kind of like gross and nasty. I didn’t even want to look at it because it gave me chill bumps," she said, adding that the dog, named Osito, was then taken to another hospital.

“My dog is hurt you should have taken him to the first vet you could have taken him to no matter what the price is. You guys injured him so you guys should be responsible to pay and get him fixed as soon as possible not wait four or five hours to figure out what vet you are going to take him to,” she said.

The canine’s lacerated nose was repaired using surgical glue after which it was sent home. The grooming center picked up the bill. Victoria said though the center also offered a gift card, she refused to accept it.

“It’s more than an inconvenience, my dog was in pain, suffering, he wasn’t eating and I don’t think just a $50.00 gift card could be okay. You guys haven’t checked on him you guys won’t respond to any of calls or anything regarding the incident. You’re hurting somebody’s family. A dog’s pain and suffering at least care a little more than what they are doing,” she said.

In a statement Petsmart said, “Osito’s nose was accidentally cut during a groom, and he was immediately taken to a local pet hospital by our associate where he was transferred to an emergency veterinarian to receive prompt treatment. The welfare of Osito was our top priority, and treatment costs were not a factor in how we sought care for him. PetSmart has reached out to the pet parent multiple times to check on Osito and offer continued support, but to date, the pet parent has not returned any calls. We are sorry this accident occurred, and we wish Osito a speedy recovery.”

dog In this image, a dog's paw reaches through the kennel fence at the Queen Anne's County Department of Animal Service in Queenstown, Maryland, Jan. 24, 2008. Photo: Getty Images/Jim Watson