KEY POINTS

  • Prince Charles will have some control over Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's branding
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle cannot use the Sussex Royal brand on everything
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced their exit from the royal family this week

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle won’t completely be off the hook from the royal family even after they announced their bombshell exit last week.

In fact, even though the royal couple applied for trademarks for the Sussex Royal brand, Prince Charles could still enforce certain restrictions in the near future.

A source told Daily Mail’s Richard Kay that Prince Harry and Markle will receive strict instructions on branding. After all, no one wants to see the name of the Sussexes on a tub of margarine.

In June, Prince Harry and Markle trademarked Sussex Royal for books, clothing, and charitable fundraising. They also trademarked their name globally on a wide range of products.

Meanwhile, a source also said that even though Prince Harry and Markle want to be financially independent of the royal family, Prince Charles would continue to support them in his own way.

However, the source reminded the Duke and Duchess of Sussex that Prince Charles doesn’t have unlimited resources.

On the royal couple’s official website, they clearly stated their desire to earn a professional income and said that they were unable to do this because they were tied to the royal family.

Markle, who used to work as an actress before she married Prince Harry, is rumored to return to the industry. In fact, the “Suits” alum has already landed a partnership with Disney to do a voice-over.

Last year, the Duke of Sussex spoke with the CEO of Disney and informed him that his wife is interested in doing voice-overs for the company. The video only surfaced this week after Prince Harry and Markle announced their exit.

In related news, Markle also made headlines this week after her spokesperson denied the rumors that she was banned from attending the crisis talks that Queen Elizabeth organized.

Initial reports claimed that Prince Harry's wife was barred from attending for fear that the private talks will be recorded.

“In the end, the Sussexes decided that it wasn’t necessary for the Duchess to join,” the spokesperson said.

Prince William Prince Harry Meghan Markle and Prince Charles Prince William, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and Prince Charles at the Westminster Abbey Commonwealth day service on March 11, 2019 in London. Photo: Getty Images/Richard Pohle