KEY POINTS

  • Princess Charlene is still recovering from the second corrective surgery she underwent on June 23
  • She underwent surgery to address complications from a prior procedure
  • The royal can't fly above 20,000 feet because the surgery won't allow her inner pressure to "equalize"

Princess Charlene of Monaco is opening up about her condition and how she's handling being separated from husband Prince Albert and their children for months while she recovers from surgery complications.

In an interview with South African outlet Channel24, the 43-year-old royal said she longs for "my husband, my babies and my doggies." According to Princess Charlene, the surgery she had earlier this year would not allow her inner pressure to "equalize," which means she is unable to fly above 20,000 feet.

She has remained in South Africa, the same nation where she was raised, while recuperating from the surgery she underwent in the country in June to address the pain she was experiencing that turned out to be a severe ear, nose and throat ailment.

The princess told the news outlet that she experienced complications related to ENT surgery. In early May, she also underwent a sinus lift and bone graft in preparation for dental implants. The surgery was performed prior to her mid-May arrival in South Africa, where she has been actively campaigning for wildlife protection.

Princess Charlene said she began experiencing an extreme soreness in her ears in June. A second corrective surgery was conducted on June 23 which forced her to miss the celebration of her 10th wedding anniversary with Prince Albert.

At the time, Princess Charlene released a statement confirming that she will not be able to return to Monaco for their wedding anniversary. 

"This year will be the first time that I will not be with my husband on our wedding anniversary in July, which is difficult and saddens me," she said in the statement obtained by People. "However, Albert and I had no choice but to follow the instructions of the medical team, even if it was extremely difficult. He has been the most incredible support to me."

"My daily conversations with Albert and my children help me keep my spirits up a lot, but I miss their presence very much," she added. "I can't wait for us to be together."

On July 9, the royal shared some snaps on Instagram showing how she keeps connected to her 6-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.

"Spending time with Jacqui and Bella making blankets for the crèche next door. Wish me luck," she captioned photos of her chatting with her children via a video call.

Princess Charlene's post was flooded with supportive messages from her followers, who wished her a speedy recovery.

"Get well soon Princess!!!!" one commented.

"Hope you get well soon," another added.

"Thank you again for using your position to actually do some good in the world. Your children will be so proud of you when they are older knowing how you are working to save endangered animals," a third added.

The palace earlier confirmed that Prince Albert and their twins will soon visit Princess Charlene in South Africa.

Princess Charlene and Prince Albert II of Monaco Prince Albert II of Monaco, his wife Princess Charlene and their son Prince Jacques stand on the palace balcony during the traditional Sainte Devote procession in Monaco, Jan. 27, 2017. Photo: REUTERS/Eric Gaillard