A three-month-old puppy in California died Sunday after eating 46 short ribs despite undergoing an emergency surgery. The Sacramento Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) issued a warning for pet owners following the incident.

Local animal rescuers said the six-pound puppy was brought to a private veterinary clinic in late February. The owner said the small puppy had eaten the ribs and started acting sluggish. The owner didn't want to or couldn't pay for the surgery to remove the bones, according to ABC-affiliated television station KXTV. He surrendered the dog to the private clinic, which later brought the dog to the Sacramento SPCA.

The dog underwent an emergency surgery at the hands of Dr. Laurie Siperstein-Cook and was showing signs of recovery.

"We kind of had a pool to-- you know, how many (rib bones) would we find?" Siperstein-Cook told ABC10. "The highest guess was 22, and it turned out to be 46. And we're going, 'How does a little six-pound puppy eat 46 of these?'"

Following the surgery, they also said the dog would be monitored before adoption was considered.

"We have a LOT of interest but not accepting applications yet as his recovery time is unknown," the shelter told ABC10. "There is only one of him though, so we hope everyone interested is willing to help another shelter pup in need if they miss out on this one!"

The dog's health, however, started to decline a day after the surgery and he later died Sunday.

"There are times, despite everything we try, some stories do not have the happy ending we would like," the Sacramento SPCA said in their Facebook announcement Sunday. "Our little puppy who went through surgery to remove nearly 50 ribs from his stomach and intestines has passed away."

"After having a really good day after surgery, he began to go downhill over the weekend. Our veterinary team provided him with additional treatment, but unfortunately his little body could not quite catch up," rescuers wrote. "Our thoughts go out to the medical team and his foster parent who gave him a second chance and lots of love. Thank you for your support and we will continue to try...because they are worth it."

They also issued warning for pet owners asking them to "keep human food away from your furry friends." According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, feeding pets raw bones "may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild."

This is a representational image of a worker at Clean Futures Fund (CFF) holding a stray puppy in Ukraine, June 8, 2018. Getty Images/Sergei Supinsky