A young boy from Texas recently died of rare brain-eating amoeba “naegleria fowleri,” making him the second reported child in the past two months to die of the infection. 

The boy, who died on Sept. 11, was infected after playing on a “splash pad” at Don Misenhimer Park in Arlington, Texas. On Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that the park had traces of the amoeba also known as "primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM)."

City officials say that the records from the splash pad show that the park did not conduct proper water testing and, in some cases, did no testing at all. 

There were “identified gaps in our daily inspection program,” according to Deputy City Manager Lemuel Randolph.

"Those gaps resulted in us not meeting our maintenance standards at our splash pads," Randolph said.

There was another instance of a boy catching and dying from the rare brain-eating disease. In August, David Pruitt, a 7-year-old from Northern California, came in contact with the amoeba while swimming in a local lake.

Both boys were infected by coming into contact with the amoeba through the water. The CDC said that the infection is known for entering the body through the nose while swimming in warm freshwaters like lakes, rivers, or hot springs. 

“There have been 34 reported infections in the U.S. in the 10 years from 2010 to 2019, despite hundreds of millions of recreational water exposures each year 10. By comparison, in the ten years from 2001 to 2010, there were more than 34,000 drowning deaths in the United States,” the CDC said.