A mobile phone caught fire in a man’s pocket and exploded after he threw the device on a bag that was lying nearby. The incident took place in the Indian state of Haryana on March 14.

According to local reports, the man, identified as Vikesh Kumar, purchased the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro in December. On March 14, the device started heating up in the man’s pocket. He immediately took it out and noticed smoke coming out it. The man then threw the device toward a bag that was lying nearby and within seconds, the phone exploded, setting the bag on fire.

The man then approached the service center who initially tired to blame him for the incident. They said that the device exploded because of "customer-induced damage." The man was asked to pay 50% of the phone’s cost for a new device, which he refused.

After a local website published a news item about the same, the company gave him a free replacement unit along with a new backpack.

In a statement to the Times of India on Wednesday, the company said, “ The case has been resolved amicably with the customer, ensuring full satisfaction of the consumer.”

“We deeply care for our consumer and are providing all necessary assistance. We take pride in having one of the strongest after-sales in the country with an aim to solve customer issues seamlessly,” the statement added.

800px-Xiaomi_Redmi_S2 Xiaomi Redmi S2 Photo: Art-barko/Wikimedia Creative Commons