Utah University
One person was killed in a shooting at the University of Utah, Oct. 30, 2017. In this photo, a general view of University Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, Jan. 19, 2012. Reuters/George Frey

UPDATE: 2:30 a.m. EDT — Police confirmed that shooting took place at the trailhead of Red Butte Canyon as the discovered the victim’s body there. Police also said they found a rifle, camping gear, near one of the trailheads which are believed to be possibly belonging to the suspect.

UPDATE: 2:21 a.m. EDT — Utah Gov. Gary Herbert released a statement on Twitter praying for the ones involved in the shooting incident and asked everyone to follow directions to nearby shelters and stay safe.

Original Story:

The Salt Lake Police Department has confirmed that one person has died in a shooting at the University of Utah on Monday following which the students were told to seek shelter at a safe place, local media reported.

Witnesses at the scene told Fox 13 that one person died, two other people were shot and reportedly the suspect’s girlfriend was shot in the finger on a hiking trail near the campus. The police have not confirmed this information yet.

Authorities are still searching for the suspect who is still at large and was reportedly driving a dark green vehicle. According to FOX 13 police said the vehicle has not been discovered yet.

Salt Lake City Police identified the suspect as Austin Boutain, 24, who is considered to armed and dangerous.

The University of Utah urged people to stay sheltered and secured late Monday:

The university had earlier confirmed that the suspect is a male, white adult with a tear-drop tattoo on his face.

Police had been searching the east side of the University campus, near Red Butte Canyon and the medical complex late Monday night for a male shooter.

"If you are in this area, please stay where you are," Salt Lake City Police Department's Sgt. Brandon Shearer told CBS affiliate KUTV. He asked people in the area to inform the police immediately if they see anything or anyone out of place.

Salt Lake City Police Dispatch confirmed that they have been assisting the University of Utah Police in the incident, according to NBC4i.com.

The Department of Public Safety tweeted saying that they have sent a helicopter crew to assist the University of Utah Police in the search.