The death of ex-husband Herbert Rodgers in prison ends a "big chapter" in the life of Carmen Blandin Tarleton, who was doused by him with industrial strength lye in a horrific incident of domestic violence in 2007.

Rodgers, who was serving a 30- to 70-year sentence for the attack which left Tarleton with 80 percent burn, died Monday at Pennsylvania's Camp Hill prison facility, according to a news release from Vermont prison officials.

According to a report in the Burlington Free Press, the Vermont Department of Corrections said, “It appears the death was related to a medical issue.”

Speaking to Valley News, the 48-year-old said, “I have fully forgiven him and I don’t have the same attitude that a lot of people have with his treatment of me,” Tarleton said. “I have moved on so well and in so many ways. I feel like, for me, it ends a big chapter in my life.”

The mother of two daughters — 25-year-old Liza, and 23-year-old Hannah — from Thetford, Vermont — has come a long way from the horrific incident of June 2007, and is now recognized nationally as an advocate for victims of domestic assault. She has also written a book outlining her ordeal and her fight against it.

Rodgers, who married Tarleton in 2001 (the couple divorced a few months before the attack), broke into Tarleton's house with an intention to kill the man with whom he suspected she had an affair. He beat her with a baseball bat and then doused her with lye which burnt over 80 percent of her body. Apart from burns and loss of vision, Tarleton also suffered a broken arm and a fractured eye socket.

After the attack, Tarleton was air lifted to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where she was put into medically-induced coma.

Over a period of three months, she underwent 38 surgeries. In the next five years, Tarleton had to undergo another 17 surgeries.

On Dec. 5, 2011, she got an approval for a face transplant. In 2013, she underwent a grueling 15-hour, face transplant procedure at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.

Later, she shared her experience in her book titled, “Overcome, Burned, Blinded and Blessed.”

Thought it was an ordeal, but taking up the challenges, Tarleton chose to live and said, "I’m still a regular normal person and I try to relay that. I’m not much different than anyone else,” according to a report in the American Snippets.

She said, “Sometimes it’s really hard because people don’t see you as a regular person anymore. And that’s part of our culture and our society. I was very disfigured. It was difficult for people to look at me. So I had to shine my inner light so bright that people could look beyond my scarred face.”

After the face transplant in 2013, she said to the New York Times, “ Initially I felt that it was very sci-fi. It was like a big surprise, a big gift. I’d already accepted my disfigurement, fine. But I accepted it believing there wasn’t an alternative.”

On the other hand, in 2009, Rodgers pleaded guilty to attacking Tarleton. During his sentencing hearing the same year, Rodgers told Tarleton she “didn’t deserve it.”

According to Valley News, Deputy Commissioner Mike Touchette, Vermont Department of Corrections, said in an email, “The cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner in the near future. Both Pennsylvania and Vermont will begin internal reviews and part of that review will include looking at medical requests made by Mr. Rodgers.”