• A lineman in India set himself on fire after being allegedly harassed by an engineer
  • He filed a police complaint against the co-worker, but authorities took no action
  • The man's family is currently in the process of registering a case against the engineer

A man in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, who accused his senior co-worker of harassing him, died by suicide over the weekend after authorities ignored his complaint.

The man, identified as 45-year-old Gokul Prasad, self-immolated Saturday night, newspaper the Times of India reported.

He received treatment in the city of Lucknow but died the next day during the process, according to police superintendent Sanjeev Suman.

Prasad, a lineman deployed at Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited's power station in Palia for 22 years, had accused a junior engineer of continuously harassing him before his death.

He was under "immense tension" because of the JE, whom he had reported to, Prasad's wife claimed.

Prasad was able to record a video of him leveling allegations against the senior coworker before his suicide, according to police.

He lodged a complaint against the junior engineer at Palia police station, but no action was taken.

Prasad's family has yet to lodge a written complaint about the incident, police said. They are currently in the process of registering a first information report against the junior engineer.

In a similar incident, a 40-year-old man from India's Kerala state attempted to set himself on fire following an argument with his wife.

The man, identified as Kolavipalam resident Anil Kumar, used petrol to set his house on fire on April 4.

He sustained serious injuries from the incident and was admitted to the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital. A car and a motorcycle parked in front of the house were also gutted.

Kumar attempted to self-immolate after arguing with his wife, police said.

Another similar incident happened in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu earlier this year when a woman attempted to prove her fidelity to her husband by setting her 10-year-old daughter on fire.

The woman, identified as Jayalakshmi, doused her daughter, Pavithra, with kerosene and set her on fire on Jan. 30.

Neighbors rescued the Class 5 student and took her to the hospital, but she died after her body suffered 75% burns.

Police arrested Jayalakshmi and her husband, Padmanabhan, for the incident. A court later sent them to jail.

If you have thoughts of suicide, confidential help is available for free at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Call 1-800-273-8255. The line is available 24 hours, every day.

Representation. Gokul Prasad, 45, was able to record a video of himself leveling allegations of harassment against an engineer he reported to. czuba_artur/Pixabay