• The mother left the girl in the care of her boyfriend when she went to work
  • She returned to find the child unresponsive and called 911 
  • The child had bruises on her body and a swollen forehead

A 24-year-old Atlanta man has been arrested in connection with the death of a 2-year-old girl he was babysitting.

The accused, Malik Kyhree Kennedy, was charged with felony murder and cruelty to children, a statement from the Gwinnett County Police Department (GCPD) said Sunday.

The mother, Rosie Kyle, returned from work Sunday evening and noticed that her daughter was not breathing or waking up from her afternoon nap. She immediately alerted the emergency services.

"The fire department attempted to revive the child but (was) unsuccessful," Gwinnett police said in the news release. "The child had several bruises on the cheeks with finger and fingernail impressions, a swollen eye, swollen forehead, and bruises on the body."

Police said Kennedy, who was the mother's boyfriend, was watching the child while she was working. An autopsy report that came out Monday revealed that the victim sustained a closed head injury to the back of her head. The Gwinnett County medical examiner ruled the death a homicide.

Kennedy was arrested the same day. He is being held without bond at the Gwinnett County Jail.

See posts, photos and more on Facebook.

The investigation into the case is ongoing and the police have asked anyone with information to come forward. They have also promised cash rewards. People can contact GCPD detectives at 770-513-5300. To remain anonymous, tipsters should contact Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS (8477) or visit

The incident is the latest in a series of criminal cases involving caregivers in the Atlanta area.

Earlier, a 28-year-old man was arrested for allegedly breaking the femur of a 9-month old child he was babysitting at his Sandy Springs apartment. The child later succumbed to his injuries, which included a contusion on his forehead and bruising on his back.

Police said the child's mother had left him in the care of the accused, Dehaven Johnson, when she went out.

Child Abuse
Representational image Reuters