Within 24 hours after an 11-month-old suffered bullet injuries in Philadelphia on Oct. 19, Sunday, a 2-year-old girl was shot in the back of her head. The incident took place when an unidentified gunman randomly targeted their North Philadelphia home located in Kensington section. While the former survived being shot for four consecutive times, the latter died on spot.

The toddler, unnamed in the police reports, was hit by the bullets at the back of her head when she was sitting in her living room. It was 3:30 p.m. when a gunman outside the house indiscriminately fired at their house. The mother of the child, 24, was also critically injured by the raging bullets that hit her in the head and back. The mother, however, is now in a stable condition.

Another man, 33, was also said to be present there who ended up being gravely wounded after a bullet dug into his stomach.

Christine Coulter, Philadelphia’s acting police commissioner called the incident "heartbreaking," Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Police believe that at least 7 shots were fired through the front window and living room of the house. “No child should be murdered in their living room. It’s just terrible,” Coulter said.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney released a statement about the vicious Sunday attack which stated, "Outraged, disgusted, and heartbroken by the violence this weekend that claimed the life of an innocent 2-year-old and left another infant fighting for his life," he further said, "My prayers are with their families and communities during this tragic time."

Kenney went on to add, "Philadelphians should not live in fear of violence that could take away a child’s life, but for too many, this is a sad reality. With the unabated flow of illegal guns and drugs, we must do whatever we can locally to address violence and help residents, we’ll have teams in the neighborhoods impacted by this weekend’s violence to provide support and trauma-informed care. The @PhillyPolice department is conducting a full investigation and will have whatever resources they need to bring these perpetrators to justice."

Surveillance videos are being closely examined for the recognition of the suspect. No arrests have been made so far in connection with the shooting. Police are also tight-lipped about the description of the suspect.

The French-made MAS sub-machine gun that killed Italy's Benito Mussolini in 1945 is pictured in Tirana August 4, 2004. The French-made MAS sub-machine gun that killed Italy's Benito Mussolini in 1945 is pictured in Tirana August 4, 2004. Photo: Reuters