A 5-year-old boy in Georgia was commended for saving his younger sister and their family dog from a house fire Sunday.

Noah Woods woke up to find fire plumes in his bedroom. “The only available exit was a window. He got himself, his 2-year-old sister, and dog out of the window to escape the fire,” Bartow County Fire Department said in a Facebook post.

Woods then ran next door where his uncle lives and alerted people there. The boy was credited for saving the lives of 7 others apart from his sister.

The fire department will name him an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and endow him with a Lifesaving Award on Friday.

"We've seen children alert their families before," Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison said. "But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this ... that's pretty extraordinary."

The fire reportedly erupted from an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah’s bedroom that he shared with his baby sister.

The firefighters treated Noah and 4 other family members for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

In January, a 6-year-old girl in New Jersey was hailed a hero for saving her family from a house fire. Madalyn Karlbon woke up after she felt a burning sensation in her eyes owing to the fire and heard the smoke detector alarm that went off. She rushed downstairs to spot the fire and ran upstairs again to alert her father. The father then evacuated her, her younger brother, and her mother out of the house.

Firefighter Pixabay