A 5-year-old child in India died after the mobile battery he was playing with exploded.

The tragic incident took place Saturday in the eastern state of Jharkhand. The child's father, Lajar Marandi, had taken the battery out of his mobile phone, and placed it in a master charger to recharge it, Times Now reported. When Marandi stepped away, his son – identified only as Sonu – tried to remove the battery from the charger, which led to it exploding and causing serious injuries to the child.

The boy was rushed to a hospital for treatment, but the doctors declared him dead on arrival. The doctors then informed the police about the incident, Live Hindustan reported [Google Translate showed].

"We have received information that a 5-year-old child died after a mobile battery explosion in Dumarchir village. We are collecting information from the parents of the victim" senior police officer Hardeep Janardan told Times Now.

It wasn't clear to which company the mobile phone belonged or how old the device was.

In March last year, a 12-year-old boy, who charged his phone's battery with a universal mobile battery charger, died after the battery exploded on his face. The incident took place in Mirzapur, a district in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh. The boy, identified as Monu, charged his phone's battery with the universal charger to test the cell's power. An hour later, he decided to check the battery's power by touching the cell with his tongue. When he did so, the battery exploded on his face, leaving him with severe facial injuries. His family came rushing after hearing the loud explosion and found the boy lying in a pool of blood. The grade 6 student was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was declared dead.

In another similar incident, a mobile phone exploded on a technician's face at a store in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia. The technician was trying to examine a customer's phone when the device caught fire and exploded. A video of the shocking incident surfaced online, showing the technician trying to open the phone using a tool when the device suddenly explodes. The man, however, was lucky to have suffered only minor burn injuries in the incident.

iPhone Battery
This is a representational image rawpixel.com/Pexels