emergency-room-3323451_1920 (1)
Representation. A hospital ArtisticOperations/Pixabay


  • The boy was celebrating his brother's birthday party when the accident happened
  • He underwent two surgeries after suffering serious bleeding on the brain, swelling and a large blood clot
  • Doctors have since taken the child off some medication which will allow him to wake up

An 8-year-old boy from Carlsbad, California, is currently in a medically-induced coma after sustaining a traumatic brain injury in a trampoline accident that also involved his younger sister.

The boy, identified by KTLA as Leeland Havensek, was jumping on his family's trampoline with his little sister during their brother's birthday party on Jan. 25 when the two siblings accidentally collided.

"We gave him ice, he laid down for a bit. We monitored him every 10 to 15 minutes for (a) possible concussion," Maggie Havensek, Leeland's mother, told the outlet.

However, later that night, Maggie heard a loud noise that she said sounded like a snore. She said she ran to her son's room and found him "seizing and not responsive."

The young boy had to be airlifted to Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego, which is about 34 miles away. By the time Maggie and her husband arrived at the hospital, Leeland was already prepped for surgery.

"They said this is actually very serious and we're not sure if he's going to make it," Maggie said of her conversation with doctors.

Though the boy's CT scan showed no skull fracture and no concussion, it did display serious bleeding on the brain, swelling and a large blood clot that caused a stroke. It is unclear if Leeland's sister suffered any injury from the incident.

Leeland underwent two surgeries and was put in a medically-induced coma.

"They made that decision to act ahead and remove the skull to let the brain expand and swell without causing secondary damage. Everything they did was amazing and he's responding really well," Maggie said Tuesday, Daily Mail reported.

Doctors took Leeland off some medication which will allow him to wake up. But his recovery is far from certain.

"He is not going to be able to walk. Not when he comes out, we don't know, but his whole left side will be compromised," Maggie said, according to KTLA.

Leeland's third-grade teacher and classmates at Magnolia Elementary School have sent painted cards to him, and even strangers reached out with words of encouragement.

"It's like our darkest hour and the community really is a light for us," said Casey Sershon, Leeland's stepfather. "Everyone is shining their light. (It) helps us see through this and just knowing he matters to so many other people."

One of Leeland's teachers, Melanie Lupica, started a GoFundMe for his recovery.

"Leeland is starting to slowly wake up. They are removing medicines and watching him closely to see how he reacts," the fundraiser, which has drawn more than $43,000 as of this writing, said. "His family is with him and he is starting to show signs that he can hear them. We are hopeful great news is ahead. His family is so grateful for the outpouring of love and support."

Representation. A one-year-old baby got punched in his face inside the emergency room of a hospital. Pixabay