KEY POINTS

  • Prince Harry, Meghan Markle still struggle with privacy issues after moving to L.A.
  • A royal expert thinks the lack of security is the reason for their privacy problems
  • The Sussexes filed an invasion of privacy lawsuit last week

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry continue to struggle with invasion of privacy by the media even after moving to the U.S. The absence of privacy, as per royal expert Katie Nicholl is due to the lack of security. 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced early this year that they were stepping back from their roles as senior members of the royal family. After carrying their final royal engagement, Prince Harry and Markle flew to Los Angeles. However, even if they are no longer working royals, they are still struggling when it comes to their privacy. According to Nicholl, who wrote several royal biographies including "Harry and Meghan," the couple are facing issues with security.

"I think one of the big concerns when the couple moved to Los Angeles was security, at least, who was going to pay for that security. It's my understanding that they're renting Tyler Perry's home, which comes with its own security entourage," Nicholl told Entertainment Tonight.

"One of the key issues for them is that they are in the spotlight. They attract a huge amount of attention and their concern has always been how they would balance their private lives with their public roles."

Nicholl acknowledged that some might blame the royal couple for expecting a greater level of privacy in LA. She pointed out that the U.S. and the U.K. actually have different privacy rules.

"While they were living in Britain, there were no paparazzi pictures of them," she said.

"There was still a gentleman's agreement between the press and the palace that when the principals -- the senior members of the royal family -- were enjoying private time, that private time was respected. So if the couple were papped, then the British newspapers agreed with the palace that they wouldn't use those paparazzi pictures."

Apparently, there is no arrangement like this in the U.S. In May, the royal couple contacted the LAPD over drone flybys in their area. The drones flew as low as 20 feet and they suspected that they took photos of them and their son, Archie.

“They see these drones coming in at them, and they guess that they are being operated by photographers, but they can’t just assume that. Meghan received racist death threats at the time of her wedding, so the terror threat is very real for them,” a friend of the couple said.

On July 23, Prince Harry and Markle filed an invasion of privacy lawsuit after a photo of them with their son, Archie, in their backyard leaked. However, the defendants were not named because they do not know who took the photos. The couple believes that drones and telephoto lenses were used in taking unauthorized photos of them and their child.

"The plaintiffs have done everything in their power to stay out of the limelight - except in connection with their work, which they freely admit is newsworthy," the lawsuit was quoted by The New York Times. "But the photos at issue are not news. They are not in the public interest. They are harassment."

Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are bowing out entirely from representing the monarchy. Photo: AFP/Daniel LEAL-OLIVAS