Mel Greig and Michael Christian, the two Australian DJ’s behind the Kate Middleton hospital prank that led to the suicide of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, have resigned from their positions at 2Day FM.

Southern Cross Austereo, the company that owns the station, has released a statement saying, "SCA and 2Day FM are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha from King Edward VII’s Hospital."

According to a TMZ report, SCA says the CEO has spoken with both of the DJs ... who are both "deeply shocked" over the tragedy.

"SCA and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy," the company added.

TMZ reports that after having tried speaking with Greig and/or Christian, they were told by the executive producer that the DJs will not be taking any calls.

The producer added, "I advise you to stop trying to call them," Thirty Mile Zone reports.

Earlier this week, Greig and Christian called King Edward VII's hospital in London pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. Saldanha believed the call was real and gave the DJ’s a legitimate update on the condition of Middleton.

A statement released by King Edward VII's hospital and obtained by a London radio station confirms the death of nurse Saldanah.

“It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha.”

The royal family has also issued a statement reacting to news of Saldanha’s death.

“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha. Their Royal Highnesses were looked after so wonderfully well at all times by everybody at King Edward VII Hospital, and their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha’s family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time.”

According to a Sky News report, Saldanha was found at an address near the hospital.

A Scotland Yard spokesman told the news outlet that "police were called at approximately 9.35am this morning to a report of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, W1.

"London Ambulance Service attended and the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances of the incident.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious at this stage."

Additionally, London Ambulance Service said, “we were called at 9.25am to an address in Weymouth Street. We sent 2 ambulances crews and a duty officer, sadly the patient was dead at the scene."

According to the hospital statement, Saldanha worked at the hospital for more than four years and was an “excellent nurse.”