A woman from Queens, New York, was charged with child abandonment after she and her boyfriend left her 6-year-old daughter on the street, threw her belongings on the road before driving away from the place.

The heartbreaking incident took place on Monday (May 18) when the mother, 29-year-old Patrice Chambers, and her 28-year-old boyfriend, Mark Pamphile, both hailing from Patchogue village, were driving down the street and stopped near the intersection on 140th Avenue near Springfield Boulevard in Laurelton.

A surveillance camera in the area has captured the incident. A short while after the vehicle comes to a stop, the girl’s clothes are seen being tossed out of the vehicle. The little girl is then seen getting out of the car. The mother then drives off from the scene. The girl runs behind the vehicle picking up her clothes, crying.

"This mother is alleged to have abandoned her terrified youngster on a street corner with her clothes in a plastic bag and no regard for the child's safety or well-being,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz told local media.

According to Katz, the incident happened near to the place where the girl's biological father lives.

Pamphile had allegedly threatened the girl’s father telling him that they will abandon the child if he didn’t pay Chambers. In the voicemail left on the father’s phone, Pamphile said the child now had no place to sleep and that she was “crying like a little b---h.”

“The defendant's boyfriend allegedly participated in the crime and had complained about her crying like a little b---h,” Katz said.

The girl was later found by an unnamed person who took her to safety agents. The child was now in the custody of child protective services.

“Thankfully, a good Samaritan found the youngster and took her to two school safety agents," Katz added.

Both Chambers and Pamphile were charged with abandonment of a child, reckless endangerment in the second degree, and endangering the welfare of a child. The duo was later released on personal recognizance bail. They will be back in court on Aug. 21. If convicted, they could face up to four years in prison.

Representational image of a handcuff. Pixabay