A mother from Fife, Washington, was arrested for attempted murder after she tried to kill her two children when their father was not at home.

The Fife Police received a 911 call Sunday afternoon and the caller said she had just killed her 4-year-old daughter and her "baby boy" was next.

According to court documents, the mother, identified as 31-year-old Hina Sadia, told dispatchers, “I just killed my child in the bathtub."

The officers immediately responded to the home in 3200 block of Festival Avenue East. The responding officers found the girl and her 2-year-old brother naked and wet in the bathtub.

The court documents said when the officers found the girl, she was “completely limp and not moving” and that her little brother was “sobbing and crying.”

Responding to local media, Assistant Chief Dave Woods with the Fife Police Department said, “The officers immediately began providing medical treatment to her, she was not responsive upon initial contact and they began life-saving breathing medical attention until Tacoma Fire arrived on scene and took that over.”

“It’s baffling to us, it’s baffling to our investigators, it’s baffling to the father at this point,” Woods said. “We aren’t sure why it took place.”

The court documents said during the 911 call, when the dispatcher asked Sadia why she wanted to kill her children, she replied, "I am a bad mother and I cannot take care of my kids."

During the interrogation, Sadia told investigators she choked her son first then changed her mind and decided to choke and kill her daughter first. She said she felt her children are not going to contribute to society so it’s better that they die.

The children’s father, who lives in the house, was in a store when Sadia committed the crime.

“To hear that something happened to children is pretty concerning and sad,” neighbor Amanda Sanchez told local media.

The two children are now being treated at Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital. The girl was reported to be in critical condition, and her brother was stable and under observation.

“We’re trying to contemplate why this would’ve occurred. It’s difficult to understand,” Woods added. “Our investigation is still ongoing and hopefully we’ll have some additional answers in the near future," he concluded.

According to court documents, Sadia was arraigned Monday afternoon in Pierce County Superior Court. She was charged with two counts of attempted murder in the first degree.

If the girl does not survive, Sadia may face charges for murder. She is currently being held on a $1 million bond, and will be back in court June 15.

woman in handcuffs
23-year-old Sabita Dookram was arrested for allegedly throwing her newborn baby outside a bathroom window. Getty Images/John Moore