An octogenarian in India's financial capital Mumbai was taken into custody after he stabbed his wife to death and torched her body.

In the wee hours on Sunday, he had a heated argument with his wife, identified as Parvati, 80, and in a fit of rage, he grabbed a knife and stabbed her to death at their home.

The incident came to light the following morning when the accused’s daughter-in-law woke up and saw smoke come out of Patil’s bedroom. The woman, Prathiba, immediately woke her husband up and informed all the other family members who lived in the same home about the incident, local outlet Mid Day reported.

When the door of her room was broken, the old woman was found lying unconscious on the bed. The family members then noticed burns and multiple stab wounds on her body. They rushed her to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

Meanwhile, the accused, who had fled the scene, was traced and taken into custody from the neighborhood.

Police said the investigation revealed the accused "was extremely short-tempered" and had frequent arguments with the victim. Baliram’s son told the police that his father quarreled with his mother and other family members over petty issues.

"Early on Sunday, the two had a dispute during which Baliram stabbed Parvati to death and set her on fire to hide evidence," the officer told The Times of India.

Baliram has been booked for murder and trying to hide evidence by setting the victim's body on fire.

The incident comes months after a man stabbed his wife multiple times before killing himself in Taloja, a town in the western Indian state of Maharashtra. Archana Durgande and her husband, Ganesh Durgande, had a heated argument at their home following which the man grabbed a knife and stabbed the woman multiple times. He then fled the scene and ran toward the railway station where he killed himself by jumping in front of a train. His wife was hospitalized in a critical condition.

This representative photo shows handcuffs at the Commissariat de Police Nationale (National Police Station) in Alfortville, France, Nov. 21, 2016. Thomas Samson/AFP/Getty Images