KEY POINTS

  • Prince Albert said his wife, Princess Charlene, is still in South Africa but "will be back very soon"
  • Princess Charlene has a doctor's visit "in a few days" to determine whether she can reunite with her husband and twins in Monaco
  • She has been in South Africa for months as doctors addressed an infection that developed after a previous ENT surgery

Prince Albert has given an update about his wife Princess Charlene's condition and return to Monaco.

Prince Albert told RMC radio that Princess Charlene will be visiting her doctor "in a few days." The visit will determine if she will be allowed to finally fly to Monaco and reunite with her husband and their 6-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques, after an unexpected months-long stay in South Africa.

Princess Charlene "is still in South Africa, but will be back very soon. We have to talk to the doctors in a few days," the sovereign prince of Monaco said. "She is better. It was also complicated for her because different problems affected her."

Princess Charlene has been in her home country of South Africa for several months as doctors addressed an infection that developed after a previous ENT surgery.

In early May, she underwent a sinus lift and bone graft in preparation for dental implants. This surgery was performed prior to her mid-May arrival in South Africa, where she has been actively campaigning for wildlife protection.

However, she experienced surgical complications and began suffering extreme soreness in her ears in June. Princess Charlene underwent another corrective surgery on June 23 to address the pain she was experiencing that turned out to be the severe ear, nose and throat ailment.

Princess Charlene's second surgery forced her to postpone her scheduled return to Monaco for the celebration of her 10th wedding anniversary with Prince Albert in July.

"This year will be the first time that I will not be with my husband on our wedding anniversary in July, which is difficult and saddens me," she said in the statement in late June. "However, Albert and I had no choice but to follow the instructions of the medical team, even if it was extremely difficult. He has been the most incredible support to me."

In an interview with South African outlet Channel24 in July, Princess Charlene explained that the surgery she had earlier this year would not allow her inner pressure to "equalize," which means she can't fly above 20,000 feet.

Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's long-distance relationship sparked split rumors, with German magazine Bunte and France's Paris Match claiming that she has no intention of returning to Monaco. The prince's solo appearance at the Olympics fueled the speculations as both competed in the past and have been a regular presence at the event. 

However, Princess Charlene made it clear that her relationship with her husband is going strong.

"My daily conversations with Albert and my children help me keep my spirits up a lot, but I miss their presence very much," she said in July. "I can't wait for us to be together."

Prince Albert told People in September that his wife is ready to return home to Monaco. But it would depend on what the doctor says, with Princess Charlene saying it could possibly be "late October."

Prince Albert and Princess Charlene at an environmental gala in Monaco in September last year Prince Albert and Princess Charlene at an environmental gala in Monaco in September last year Photo: POOL / ERIC GAILLARD