Although Meghan Markle and Prince Harry made a decision that they felt was best for their family, the Duke of Sussex reportedly “regrets” the route he took to share his plans with the world.

On Wednesday, the couple released a statement explaining their plans for 2020. However, Meghan and Harry shocked fans when they revealed they would be stepping back from their royal duties in the new year.

The announcement also surprised Queen Elizabeth, who was not informed about the couple’s intention before they released the statement. A source told the Daily Telegraph that the 35-year-old is feeling remorseful after not consulting with his grandmother about his plans. 

“I don’t think he fully appreciated the impact the statement would have in terms of them not consulting the Queen. He regrets that,” the insider said.

Prince Harry isn’t the only concerned about how his sudden announcement will affect Queen Elizabeth. A source told Us Weekly that Prince William is reportedly “worried” about how the situation may affect the monarch’s health.

“He’s worried about the Queen’s stress levels too,” the insider explained.

“She’s 93 years old, Prince Philip’s incredibly sick, and Andrew only stepped down a month ago over the Epstein scandal … and now this.”

The unplanned statement also put a further strain on the brothers’ already fragile relationship. “William’s done everything in his power to help his brother over the years and feels totally let down by his ‘reckless’ and ‘selfish’ actions,” an insider previously told Us Weekly.

“The way he sees it, Harry’s thrown all the good advice he gave him back in his face.”

Following a meeting held by Queen Elizabeth on Monday, Buckingham Palace released a statement from the monarch that revealed the royal family is “entirely supportive” of Meghan and Prince Harry’s decision to step back from their royal duties.