KEY POINTS

  • In January 2021, a remake of the 2003 title "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" will be launched on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC
  • India-based studio Ubisoft Pune is in charge of the project and confirms months of speculation that the classic series that began all the way back in 1989 for the Apple II was returning
  • Series creator Jordan Mechner had no role in the remake but was kept abreast of developments by Ubisoft Pune and Mumbai developers

Ubisoft has announced that the long-rumored return of the “Prince of Persia” franchise is happening at last.

“Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time,” the 2003 series reboot for PC and consoles, is being remade and released on Jan. 21, 2021. It will launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, Polygon reports.

India-based studio Ubisoft Pune is in charge of the project and confirms months of speculation that the classic series that began all the way back in 1989 for the Apple II was indeed set for a return. The announcement trailer noted that fans can unlock that original title within the remake as well as “even more surprises.”

“It’s a dream that is coming true,” said Annu Koul, senior producer with Ubisoft Pune. “Still, people have that nostalgic feeling, people want to play that game. ... You still have all of the characters, the Prince, the Princess, Farah, the Vizier, the original villain, it’s just we have given it a good bit more flavor, more enhancement.”

In late-August, people on Twitter found product listings on a Guatemalan retailer for some kind of return of the action-adventure classic. Ubisoft Montréal also staged a crossover within For Honor back in March, which got some fans’ attention, too.

The most recent new release in the “Prince of Persia” series was in 2008 in the form of “Prince of Persia” for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. That franchise was given less of a priority as Ubisoft’s own “Assassin’s Creed” franchise became a blockbuster by itself.

There has also been criticism given to Ubisoft alleging that “Assassin’s Creed” has been favored over “Prince of Persia” because of financial obligations to “Prince of Persia” creator Jordan Mechner.

Mechner himself claims no role in this remake but made a blog post praising it. Ubisoft Pune and Mumbai developers apparently kept him abreast of the game’s developments.

“Last week, I played a recent build. It gave me tingles,” Mechner said. “I was relieved to discover that my gameplay reflexes and level-map memories of fifteen years ago are still valid, letting me fluidly navigate a newly-rendered game world that’s lush, sensual, and immersive in ways the Montréal team and I could only dream of in 2003.”

Console gaming
People today are becoming more and more engaged to gaming, especially with the ongoing coronavirus crisis. Alex Carmichael/Unsplash
MEET IBT NEWS FROM BELOW CHANNELS

© Copyright IBTimes 2022. All rights reserved.