3-Year-Old Sherin Mathews Mother Arrested For Felony Charge
In this photo, police tape seals off an area after at least 14 people were injured in a stabbing incident at the Cy-Fair campus of Lone Star College on April 9, 2013 in Cypress, Texas. Getty Images / Scott Halleran

Sini Mathews, mother of 3-year-old Texas girl Sherin Mathews, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of abandoning or endangering the child, which is a felony charge.

Sherin’s adoptive father Wesley Mathews was previously arrested on suspicion of causing serious bodily injury to the child. Mathews had reportedly grown impatient with Sherin for not drinking her milk, according to his arrest affidavit. Reports suggested both Wesley and his wife allegedly left Sherin, who was adopted by the couple from India, alone in the kitchen while they took their 4-year-old biological daughter for dinner.

Mathews further said he was trying to get Sherin to drink milk and when she did not listen, he “physically assisted” her. According to him, the girl started choking and “her breathing slowed.” He allegedly told the police he “believed she had died” and so he removed her body from the house.

His statement was completely in contrast to what he had told the police earlier when he claimed he had sent Sherin outside, to an alley near their house, because she refused to drink milk. He had added when he went out to get her back, she had vanished.

Regarding Mathews’ changed statements, Richardson Police Sgt. Kevin Perlich said, “When they came in, they provided us with some information that was contrary to what we had previously been told regarding her disappearance. It was not what he told us originally,” ABC-affiliate WFAA-TV reported.

Sherin’s body was later discovered in a drainage ditch Oct. 22 near the Mathews’ home.

The Mathews had adopted Sherin from an orphanage in India and according to Dallas morning news they reportedly sought treatment for her “multiple special needs.”

Speaking of Sherin’s untimely death, the manager of the orphanage, Babita Kumari said, “Look at the photos of the child. Does she look malnourished? I have so many questions about what happened to her.”

Reports stated Kumari had also previously claimed Sherin used to eat whatever was given to her and never had any issues while drinking her milk and although she had a problem with one eye, she was otherwise in a good health when she was adopted.

“Why did they have to make her eat or drink anything at that hour? Why was he forcing her? If someone is forcing a drink into the mouth of someone who is crying and sobbing, then even an adult can choke,” Kumari said.

Wesley Mathews, who remains in custody at the Richardson City Jail, has his bond set at $1 million. The mother wasn't charged initially by the authorities but after the father’s changed statement regarding the child’s disappearance, authorities examined used receipts, eyewitnesses and cell phone records, which revealed the family was dining at the restaurant at the time, leaving Sherin alone.

Authorities believe Sherin’s mother willingly left her adopted daughter at home, leaving her in "imminent danger of death, bodily injury, or physical or mental impairment," Buzzfeed news reported. She too remains in custody in lieu of $250,000 bail.