A 17-year-old Indian girl was strangled and killed by her stepfather for speaking on the phone late at night. The man turned himself in hours after the murder.

The incident took place in the city of Hyderabad in Telangana, India.

The stepfather, identified as Mohammed Taufiq, caught his teenage stepdaughter speaking to someone on the phone at around 1 a.m. Sunday, according to India Today.

A scuffle broke out as the stepfather confronted the victim, identified as Yasmeen Unissa, for speaking on the phone late at night.

The man "noticed his step-daughter speaking over the phone at around 1 am. He immediately snatched away the phone and asked Yasmin to unlock her phone, to which she refused and it led to a quarrel," a police officer said.

The fight escalated as the accused father suspected his stepdaughter of speaking with a lover or a male friend over the phone, the Times of India reported.

Unissa's 19-year-old sister tried to intervene. However, Taufiq pushed the older sister to the side and continued having an altercation with the victim.

"Toufiq dragged Yasmeen to another room, where he throttled her to death on the suspicion that she was talking to a man," the police officer added.

The stepfather allegedly strangled his stepdaughter at around 3 a.m. Sunday, reports said. He later turned himself in and confessed to the crime at around 6 a.m.

The victim's 19-year-old sister had rushed the girl to the hospital, where she was eventually declared dead.

It was reported that the deceased teenager's mother is employed outside the country and was not around when her daughter was murdered.

The mother lost her husband about 10 years back and later married Taufiq. She was working in Bahrain when her second husband strangled her teenage daughter to death.

The stepfather was taken into custody in connection with the murder.

In an unrelated incident reported last year, a man in Jamaica allegedly beat his 4-year-old stepson to death for eating slowly. The child had earlier complained about not feeling well and was eating slowly during the family dinner, officials said.

The enraged stepfather allegedly beat the child up with a broken piece of a stick while the mother tried to stop him. The child was taken to the hospital but succumbed to his injuries.

Representational image (Police line)
Representational image (Source: Pixabay / ValynPi14)