The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) on Friday officially scrapped the second debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden. The event had been slated for Thursday, Oct. 15. 

Trump’s positive COVID-19 diagnosis resulted in the CPD moving the debate to a virtual format. In an interview with Fox Business on Thursday, Trump rejected the format, considering it a waste of time.

In response, the Biden campaign scheduled a town hall event hosted by ABC News in Philadelphia for Oct. 15. The Trump campaign has signaled that the president would hold a rally on that date.

"The campaigns of the two candidates who qualified for participation in the debate made a series of statements concerning their respective positions regarding their willingness to participate in a virtual debate on October 15, and each now has announced alternate plans for that date," the CPD said about the debate.

The CPD said the third debate scheduled for Oct. 22 will still go on as planned. The third debate will take place in Nashville, Tennessee and will be moderated by NBC News reporter Kristen Welker.

Trump has railed against the CPD, claiming the nonprofit is biased against his campaign. Former GOP Sen. Bob Dole alleged Friday that none of the Republicans on the bipartisan commission back Trump.

“The Commission on Presidential Debates is supposedly bipartisan w/ an equal number of Rs and Ds. I know all of the Republicans and most are friends of mine,” Dole tweeted, adding that he believed none of the Republicans support Trump. “A biased Debate Commission is unfair.” 

In December, Trump suggested that he may not take part in the debates at all. He has attacked the CPD for a mic issue he had during the first presidential debate with Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016.