A Los Angeles Police Department cruiser with lights and sirens going speeds down on a city street in Los Angeles, California, Aug. 10, 2017. Reuters

A suspected car thief fell to death Wednesday from a 100-foot high crane at the Port of Los Angeles, which he climbed to evade the authorities, ending the hours-long standoff with Los Angeles police, reports said, citing officials. The suspect tricked the authorities twice in a stolen SUV and ditched the vehicle at the port after a high-speed chase.

Before his death, the man was seen at the top of the crane doing bizarre activities, like dancing and rolling around. At one point, he also removed all his clothes, apparently to mock the police, according to ABC-affiliate KABC. The SUV, which was first reported stolen from a San Bernardino dealership Wednesday morning, was spotted by the Los Angeles Police Department in the Wilshire Division.

“It was stolen from Mitsubishi of San Bernardino this morning around 10:30," San Bernardino police Lt. Mike Madden was quoted as saying by the Long Beach Press-Telegram. “It is a new car. The suspect somehow got the key and just drove off in the car.”

Police said no kind of force was used to take back the vehicle. “It had a tracking device alerting authorities about its whereabouts," Madden said.

At first, the police chased the suspect through Torrance on Hawthorne Boulevard. The officers had to hold off the pursuit while chasing the man toward the ocean due to dangerous conditions, the Press-Enterprise reported.

Later, the Long Beach police continued the chase through the city, returning to Wilmington into San Pedro and finally into the port complex. A video of the chase was posted by CW-affiliate KTLA.

See posts, photos and more on Facebook.

During the chase in San Pedro, the suspect gave a tough time to the police officers as he changed lanes at the speed of 90 mph. At one point, he even stuck his head out of the window apparently to say something to sheriff's deputies, according to NBC Los Angeles.

When the suspect reached the port, he started climbing a crane tower at the West Basin Container Terminal. He broke a window as he reached the top of the crane.

Patrick Bates, who works for the yard, told KTLA that the man climbed on the highest crane in the whole harbor before he fell down. Some Twitter users called for better security measures at the port in the wake of the incident.

In April, members of the House Committee on Homeland Security took tours of the ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach to discuss the security measures and their impact on trade. These tours came amid President Donald Trump's proposal to cut $1.3 billion from the U.S. Coast Guard in the 2018 budget, a report said.

The committee members assured they were working toward better security measures. "We decided long ago that boots on the ground do not really give us the security we need, but it's technology," Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Mississippi) said.