A 27-year-old woman in India died after giving birth to a boy at a private hospital in a case of alleged medical negligence.

The incident took place Sunday in Dhanbad, a city in the state of Jharkhand. The victim's family claimed the doctors and hospital staff fled the facility after the delivery, The Telegraph reported. The woman's husband, Bhola Tiwari, said Dr Savita Das and other staff told him his wife had developed some medical complications due to rupture of a vein during delivery.

The hospital staff then asked him to arrange for one unit of blood.

“I immediately brought the blood from the blood bank and but soon after returning I was informed by the hospital staff that one more unit of blood is required and I again went outside the hospital to bring the blood from the blood bank,” Tiwari explained, The Telegraph reported.

He said when he was arranging for the second unit of blood, he was informed by his sister-in-law that his wife, Kritika Tiwary, had died and the medical team was missing.

The victim's husband filed a complaint at Dhanbad police station against the operator of Raj Clinic, Dr Das, her husband, Dr U. S. Prasad, and other staff members of the hospital.

“I will be compelled to immolate myself in hospital if I don’t get justice and want immediate action on the guilty,” Tiwari said, adding that he was unable to understand how his wife died during the normal delivery.

A senior police officer told the local media the victim's body was sent for an autopsy to Sahid Nirmal Mahto Memorial Medical College. An investigation is underway into the incident.

Last month, a mother and her newborn baby died after a school dropout performed a C-section surgery on the expectant mother with a shaving blade. The incident took place in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh. Authorities said the school dropout was employed at the local village clinic, where the woman was admitted. The 30-year-old used a shaving blade to perform the C-section surgery. The woman then started bleeding profusely after the procedure. The newborn baby died minutes after the birth. The accused was identified as Rajendra Shukla.

This is a representational image. Pixabay