- Patrick Ricard, who built Pernod Ricard SA (Paris: RI) into the second-largest alcohol beverage company in the world, died Friday, the company said.
- The British parliament criticized former Barclays Plc (London: BARC) CEO Bob Diamond in a report released Saturday, saying that he failed to fully disclose the bank?s illegal practices during testimony on the LIBOR scandal.
VIDEO Arsenal 0-0 Sunderland: Highlights, Match Report; Giroud Misses Late Chance to Hand Gunners VictoryWatch highlights and read a full account from the opening day of the Premier League season as Arsenal faced Sunderland at the Emirates.
- Vanessa Bryant is saying that her words were taken out of context after an interview with "New York Magazine" caused controversy
- Vitriol continues to be spewed in the case of Julian Assange, who is still stuck in the UK Ecuadorian embassy.
- They see the economic crisis as a “wake up call” for Britain to rediscover its tradition of hard work.
- European investors looking to bet on risky derivatives will be able to use gold to back their trades, one of the Continent's major exchanges said Friday, a development that could both make the yellow precious metal a more valuable asset and foster the growth of derivative trading volume.
Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Song Exit Imminent With Sahin, Biglia as Replacements? Mirallas to Replace RVP?For the second summer in succession, Arsenal could be set for a hectic climax to the transfer window.
- He has always been disappointingly awkward, uncharismatic and uninteresting.
- The U.S. stock index futures point to a mixed open Friday as investors maintained a watchful mode awaiting monetary easing measures from policymakers around the world to tackle the weakening of the global economic growth.
- European markets rose Friday as investor sentiment turned positive amid hopes that German Chancellor Angela Merkel would step up measures to alleviate the debt burden faced by the euro zone and revive the economic growth momentum.
- Ecuador said Thursday night the Union of South American Nations has called an emergency meeting to discuss British threats to seize WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange from inside its embassy in London.
- Even though Gaby Douglas won the all-around gold medal for gymnastics she was more criticized for her messy hair than celebrated for her achievement, now she's reportedly asked for Ted Gibson's help.
- A Nike Olympics shirt bearing the words "Gold Digging" and the signature Swoosh logo has caused quite the stir as some observers claim the words have a sexist connotation. But is it really an offensive piece of clothing, or just a fun play on words? You decide.
- Chelsea are still in the market for four big-name signings this summer as their spending looks set to eclipse £100 million.
Vanessa Bryant Denies Plastic Surgery Because Of Kobe, But Sporting A Dramatically Different Face [PHOTOS]A rep for Vanessa Bryant denied the wife of Kobe underwent plastic surgery recently, but there is still much speculation as the now brunette bombshell has been seen in recent photos sporting a dramatically different face. Rumors began when a source told the National Enquirer that 30-year-old Bryant was feeling "insecure" about her looks because of her husband and wanted to "do anything to keep Kobe happy."
- Wikileaks founder Julian Assange will give a live statement from “in front of the Ecuadorian embassy” at 2 p.m. on Sunday, the Web site announced via Twitter. The announcement caused a bit of confusion as to whether Assange can actually step out into public without getting arrested. There has yet to be any clarification.
- Platinum prices surged after South African authorities Thursday killed an undetermined number of miners protesting at a massive platinum northwest of Johannesburg.
- The British Home Secretary has warned that a new proposal from the culture secretary to increase Chinese tourism to the U.K. by making it easier to obtain visas poses a national security threat.
- China may have lost out in its mad dash to get the most gold at the London Olympics this summer, but the country is seemingly still running the race for gold where it counts, as it is currently in the process of bidding for a major African gold miner.