• The Cleveland father was initially charged with child endangerment in his son's death Monday
  • The charge was upgraded to aggravated murder after the medical examiner ruled the infant's death a homicide
  • The boy's mother allegedly deleted text messages with the father from her phone that are "evidence of murder"

An Ohio father charged in the death of his 3-month-old son will now face an aggravated murder count after the child's death was ruled a homicide, authorities announced Friday.

Earnest Alexander, 35, was arrested Friday in connection with the death of his son King Kai Alexander in Cleveland earlier this week, reported, citing court records.

Alexander was initially charged with child endangerment in his son's death Monday. The charge was upgraded to aggravated murder after the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner ruled the infant's death a homicide by blunt force trauma.

The infant's mother, 29-year-old Shatika Moss, was charged with third-degree felony tampering with evidence. She allegedly deleted text messages with Alexander from her phone that are "evidence of murder” of the child, court documents said.

Alexander dropped off his son early Monday at his grandmother’s home, according to police and court records.

The infant stopped breathing not long after, and the grandmother immediately brought the child to Fairview Hospital. The boy died later that day, authorities said.

The 3-month-old suffered fractures and contusions across his body, police said. The infant had “extensive internal injuries” when he died, according to court records.

No other details about the child's death have been disclosed as of writing.

Alexander was due to make his initial court appearance Saturday. A court date for Moss has not been scheduled.

Both remain in custody in Cuyahoga County Jail, and it's not known if either one has retained an attorney.

The father also previously pleaded guilty to child endangerment in connection to a case involving another son, according to

In 2012, Alexander, whose name is sometimes spelled Ernest in court records, was accused of breaking his then-6-month-old son’s legs, court records showed.

The injuries reportedly required surgery to repair the damage.

Alexander was sentenced to three years in prison for that case after pleading guilty to child endangerment, the report said.

A Cuyahoga County spokeswoman previously said the Department of Children and Family Services had no open cases involving the boy or his parents.

Representation. A gavel. Pixabay