In a horrific incident in India, a 9-month-old baby boy was charred to death when a fire broke out in a hut. The blaze was by the infant's two sisters, who were playing with matchsticks next to inflammable material, local media reports said.

As the fire began to spread, the 2-year-old and 4-year-old girls ran out of the hut, leaving their infant brother behind.

Kalyan Singh, along with his wife, father and the three children, had gone to the field on Monday when the tragedy took place in Bareilly, in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.

“I left my children at a hut set up in the field and proceeded with my wife and father to harvest the crop," Kalyan told the Times of India.

According to the family, the 9-month-old was sleeping in the hut when the combustible material ignited. People rushed to the scene, but they were too late.

“My child charred to death in front of our eyes and we couldn’t do anything,” the children's mother, Kamlesh, said.

In another case of accidental death, an 8-year-old boy died last year after strangling himself while playing with a rope connecting a swing to a mango tree. The child, identified as Mohammad Irshad, was playing alone in the backyard of his home in Kerala in October 2020. The child's mother, who had been inside the house with her other children, found Mohammad unconscious with the rope around his neck. He was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared dead.

Another tragic incident occurred in Madhya Pradesh when a 13-year-old died after accidentally strangling himself with a rope. The boy, identified as Raghvendra, was playing with his friends when the accident took place in September 2020. They had tied one end of the rope to the ceiling and were using it as a swing.

crime scene
Representational image Getty Images/Jonathan Alcorn