Law enforcement walk outside a terminal after a shooter opened fire at a baggage carousel at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Jan. 6, 2017. REUTERS/Zachary Fagenson

At least eight people were hospitalized from injuries sustained in a mass shooting that also left at least five people dead at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Friday afternoon. The shooting, presumably by a lone gunman who has since been taken into custody, took place at the baggage claim area at Terminal 2 near the Delta Airlines area.

The degree of the victims' injuries were not immediately known. Details of their identities were not expected to be released until the victims have been identified and authorities were able to "respectfully identify the next of kin first," Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said.

<div style="width:100%;margin:10px 0;"><iframe src="" width="600" height="513" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:static;vertical-align:top;margin:0 auto;display:block;width:600px !important;max-width:100%;min-height:513px !important;max-height:none !important;border:none;overflow:hidden;"></iframe><div style="text-align:center;font:14px/16px Helvetica,arial;color:#3d3d3d;"><a target="_blank" href="" style="color:#3d3d3d;">Graphiq</a></div></div>

The gunman was identified as 26-year old Esteban Santiago by senior Florida Sen. Bill Nelson. He was carrying a military ID and was suspected of being a former U.S. Army soldier, media outlets reported.

Santiago, whose flight took him from Anchorage, Alaska, to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and finally to Ft. Lauderdale, was on an Air Canada flight. He reportedly checked a gun in his baggage, pulled that gun out in an airport bathroom and started shooting, according to Broward County commissioner Chip LaMarca.

However, that narrative was not confirmed by Air Canada.

Witnesses said the gunman ran out of ammunition then laid on the ground "spread eagles" and waited for law enforcement to come, Florida media outlets reported on Twitter.

The investigation was ongoing and the suspect was in custody. He was being interrogated by a team of FBI agents and the Broward County police, said Israel.

Law enforcement fired no shots at the suspect.

President-elect Donald Trump tweeted this afternoon that he was "monitoring the situation in Florida" and had also spoken to Gov. Rick Scott.

The shooting was first reported around 1 p.m. by former White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer through Twitter.

The Federal Aviation Airport released a statement on Twitter that as of 3:10 p.m. would not be arriving or departing from the airport and several flights have been diverted. They also put in a ground stop for flights around the country that were supposed to travel to Ft. Lauderdale Airport.