The trial for Michelle Carter, a young woman who allegedly urged her boyfriend to kill himself in a series of text messages spanning months, continued Friday as her defense team said she was not criminally responsible for the suicide of Conrad Roy III. Roy, her boyfriend, killed himself at the age of 18 in 2014 after repeated encouragement from Carter.

“It’s insufficient to say that she caused him to die,” Carter’s defense attorney, Joseph P. Cataldo, said in court Friday.

Read: Michelle Carter’s Text Messages To Her Boyfriend Repeatedly Encouraged Him To Kill Himself

Carter was charged with involuntary manslaughter and could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted. Prosecutors in the case presented new text messages from Carter to Roy as evidence in the case Thursday.

“Hang yourself, jump off a building, stab yourself, idk there’s a lot of ways,” Carter, then 17, wrote to Roy on Jul. 6, 2014.

Seven days later, Roy’s body was found inside his truck in Fairhaven, Massachusetts. Roy committed suicide by poisoning himself with carbon monoxide from a portable generator he attached to the truck.

In another text presented in court, Carter urged him to “end it.”

“You have to do something quick that will end it without having to worry about the pain,” she wrote July 5, 2014.

“You said you wanted this bad, I knew you weren’t gonna try hard,” Carter sent to Roy Jul. 4, 2014.

In another series of text messages read on the stand by Massachusetts State Police Trooper Michael Bates, Roy told Carter, “I keep regretting the past, it’s getting me upset.”

“Take your life?” Carter responded.

Prosecutors argued Carter wanted to be the “grieving girlfriend” and intended to draw attention to herself after Roy’s death.

“The defendant needed something to get their attention,” Assistant District Attorney Maryclare Flynn said in opening statements Tuesday. “She used Conrad as a pawn in her sick game of life and death.”

Throughout the week, prosecutors presented numerous jarring text message conversations between Carter and Roy in which Carter appeared to repeatedly encourage Roy to take his own life despite his apparent hesitation. At one point, she expressed annoyance that Roy hadn't yet killed himself.

“I guess [that I’m frustrated], just because you always say you are gonna do it but you don’t, but last night I know you really wanted to do it and I’m not mad. Well, I mean kind of, I guess, just because you always say you’re gonna do it… but you don’t, but last night I knew you really wanted to and I’m not mad,” Carter texted Roy.

Carter and Roy were also on the phone at the time of his suicide, according to testimony. Flynn said at one point during the conversation, Roy attempted to get out of his truck.

“Conrad got out of his truck as he was being poisoned and he got scared,” said Flynn. “The defendant [expletive] told him to get back in.”

Read: Hazing Death Of Timothy Piazza At Penn State Was ‘Murder’ And ‘Torture,’ Family Says

According to another series of text messages presented, Carter pretended to friends and family in the immediate aftermath of Roy’s suicide that she had no idea what had occurred.

“She never admitted to anyone in the Roy family that she had helped Conrad for weeks to devise a suicide plan or that she was on the phone with Conrad and knew he committed suicide in the Kmart parking lot,” said Flynn.