After Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attempted to become independent of Buckingham Palace, Queen Elizabeth reportedly brought in a trusted staff member to keep a close watch on the couple.

For months, Meghan and Harry have been rumored to be in an ongoing royal feud with Kate Middleton and Prince William. Amid the speculation, the Queen has appointed Sir Christopher Geidt as her permanent lord in waiting.

A source told the Daily Mail Geidt’s new role will include assisting the couple as they carry out their royal duties and reporting back to the Queen with updates.

“This was all part of the plan to introduce the Duchess to royal life. Lord Geidt will be Her Majesty’s eyes and ears,” the insider stated.

Prior to his new appointment, Geidt was Queen Elizabeth’s private secretary but stepped down from the role two years ago. “Her Majesty values Lord Geidt’s wise counsel. This new role gives him a formal status again.”

News of Geidt’s position comes following reports the Queen rejected Meghan and Prince Harry’s request to further break away from Prince William and Kate Middleton by separating their communications office.

“They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told ‘no,’” a source previously told The Sunday Times.

“There is an institutional structure that doesn’t allow that kind of independence. The feeling is that it’s good to have the Sussexes under the jurisdiction of Buckingham Palace, so they can’t just go off and do their own thing.”

Meghan and Prince Harry’s communications office will remain in Buckingham Palace, however, the couple will move out of their cottage near Kate and William to Frogmore House in Windsor.