Students in a university hostel killed a huge snake that had slithered into a washroom when there was a power outage.

The snake was first discovered by a hostel resident at the the Punjab University, India, on Wednesday night when it crossed his feet and entered the washroom. He raised an alarm, causing panic among the hostelers. But some of them gathered courage and killed the reptile in the washroom.

Recalling the incident, a student, said, “There was no electricity in the hostel at that time, so we used mobile torches to look for it. The snake was found inside the washroom and was killed by the students.”

Blaming the university authorities for the incident, the student added, “This happened because the university authorities failed to cut the bushes and long grass behind the hostel despite our frequent requests as there are a number of rats and snakes there. The students are living in panic after the incident. We have come here to study, not to be bitten by poisonous snakes.”

Speaking to the Times of India, Balwinder Ram, hostel warden, said, “I am unaware of the total strength of students in the hostel. The snake was killed in the washroom and now there is no snake.” The warden, however, refused to reply to questions regarding why the authorities did not clear the grounds despite frequent requests from the hostelers.

The incident comes a month after two children died of snakebites in two different cases in the Punjab. Police said 13-year-old Sunny was bitten by a snake near his home. He was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. However, the venom had spread all over his body, causing his death. The other victim, identified as nine-year-old Shagun, also died during treatment.

In the representational image, a python lays on the bed at Bali Heritage Reflexology and Spa rooms in Jakarta, Indonesia, Oct. 27, 2013. Ulet Ifansasti/Getty Images