Laura Elizabeth Whitehurst
Whitehurst was reportedly "open" about her pregnancy. Myspace

Laura Elizabeth Whitehurst, a 28-year-old high school English teacher, has been arrested after allegedly giving birth to a student's child. Whitehurst, who teaches at Citrus Valley High School in Redlands, Calif., was arrested on charges of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. The student's mother reported the relationship to Redlands school district officials, who contacted police. A months-long investigation led to the arrest, just a few weeks after Whitehurst gave birth.

"The district takes this arrest very seriously," a statement from the district read. "Our heart goes out to the victim and his family."

Whitehurst reportedly had a year-long relationship with a 16-year-old pupil, Redlands police say. "One thing led to another, and he ended up at her residence, and it's been going on, going for approximately one year now," Redlands police Cmdr. Shawn Ryan reported. "She was open with her pregnancy. I don't know what her story was to everybody else, but it was an open pregnancy. The school district knew about it," he continued.

There have been several other such cases recently where a female teacher got involved with a student. Back in March, Felicia Barahona, a 32-year-old former teacher at DeWitt Clinton High School in New York City's Bronx, gave birth to a student's child after a sexual relationship. Barahona, who taught science and also is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, had sex with the student for four months at her home, the Daily News reports. She began the relationship when the boy turned 18 in the fall of 2011.

In February, it was reported that Kelly McKenzy Watson, a 34-year-old San Diego area teacher, was pregnant with her 17-year-old special needs student's baby. The student attended the New Haven Youth and Family Services program in Vista, Calif., which works with emotionally disturbed boys. Watson met the boy while working there between September 2010 and August 2011 and began dating him. Watson was sentenced to three years probation and a year in jail.