• The child went missing from his home Friday
  • His body was found the next day on the banks of a canal 
  • The mother's involvement in the case is being probed 

A 30-year-old man has ended up behind bars for allegedly sodomizing and murdering a 10-year-old boy, to cover up his relationship with the child's mother.

Police said the boy had seen the accused and his mother in an objectionable position.

The incident was reported in the Eastern Indian state of Bihar, according to Times Now News. The suspect, Sanjay Pandit, was arrested Sunday morning after the lifeless body of the child, Neeraj Kumar, was found on the banks of a canal Saturday evening.

Police said the boy went missing Friday night, following which his family flared up in a search for him. The boy's battered body was found on the outskirts of the village. However, police said they were not alerted about the missing child until his body was found the next day.

The boy's 45-year-old mother, who has not been identified, filed a complaint with the police alleging that Pandit was involved in the kidnap and murder. She also alleged that Pandit had sodomized her son before murdering him, The Times of India reported.

Following the complaint, police picked up Pandit for questioning and he confessed to the crime.

"Based on the FIR, Pandit was detained for interrogation. Pandit admitted that he had taken the child to the banks of the canal and strangulated him to death on Friday night," a senior police official told the publication.

Pandit reportedly told the officers that the child saw him in an objectionable position with his mother. He was worried that the boy would talk about the relationship and decided to murder him to keep their illicit relationship a secret.

According to officers, they haven't ruled out the mother's role in the crime. An investigation is on to ascertain whether the child's mother was aware of Pandit's plan. The officers haven't quizzed her yet due to the situation at home, the report added.

Recently, a 22-year-old man was arrested after he allegedly raped and strangled a 7-year-old girl to death. The suspect, who was the child's neighbor, lured her to a nearby field and raped the girl. He later dumped her body in a pit. The incident came to light after the girl's parents returned home. They filed a police case, following which the suspect was arrested.

Child Abuse
Representational photo Getty Images/Christopher Furlong