New Jersey Transit Police officers
This is a representational image showing New Jersey transit police officers guarding their stations and viewing passengers and their bags in Trenton, New Jersey, July 25, 2005. Getty Images/Paul J. Richards

A New Jersey transit police officer was suspended after he was caught on video dragging an apparently unconscious man across the pavement and punching him in the head, officials said Tuesday. The video, which was posted on social media, was recorded by a woman from Pennsylvania outside the Trenton Transit Center on Saturday night.

“Get up and get out!” the unidentified uniformed officer can be heard in the video shouting as he drags the man. The victim remains lying motionless on the sidewalk. After about 30 seconds the cop again yanks him up by his sweatshirt and drags him a couple of feet, saying: "Get the f--- up... get up."

The minute-long footage then shows the hoodie-wearing man barely moving as he lies on the ground. The officer appears to make a phone call at this moment.

The New Jersey Transit Department issued a statement Monday saying the officer in the video was identified.

“The matter is currently under investigation with New Jersey Transit Police Department’s Internal Affairs,” spokesman Jim Smith said in a statement to the New York Post.“The officer has been placed on administrative suspension pending the results of that investigation.”

The woman, who recorded the video, spoke to local TV network WPVI saying the officer continued berating and dragging the man for another five minutes.

"There was no resisting. He wasn't even speaking," the woman said. "I was torn on what to do. I thought this was the best thing, so that going forward this might not happen to someone else."

"After my phone died it continued to happen. The berating. Probably another five minutes. Dragging him on the cement and dragging his face on the ground," she went on to say.

The woman said she wasn't aware of what might have happened prior to the incident.

"I don't know if anything occurred or I'm not speculating that anything did. I can only attest to what I saw. And what I saw wasn't warranted," the woman added.