• Rahul Sahu fell into the well on June 10 while he was playing outside his house
  • More than 500 personnel were involved in the rescue operations
  • Sahu is hospitalized and reportedly in stable condition

A 10-year-old boy in India was dramatically rescued after he got stuck in an 80-foot well. The deaf and mute boy survived the ordeal after spending five days with snakes and scorpions inside the muddy well, reports said.

The boy identified as Rahul Sahu from the central Indian state of Chattisgragh fell into the well on June 10 while he was playing outside his house. The boy who has both speech and hearing impairment reportedly got stuck at the depth of around 60 feet, as reported by NDTV.

After a massive rescue operation involving around 500 officials from the Indian Army, India’s National Disaster Response Force, State Disaster Response Force and several other rescue units, Sahu was pulled to safety Tuesday night.

The boy was immediately rushed to a hospital where he is in stable condition, according to reports. "His condition is stable and he will recover soon," District Collector Jitendra Shukla said. "We have won, our team has won. It was a challenging situation," he added.

"Our child is very brave. He was accompanied by a snake and a frog in the pit for 104 hours. Today, the whole of Chhattisgarh is celebrating the festival, we all wish to return completely from the hospital soon. Congratulations and thanks again to all the team involved in this operation," Bhupesh Baghel, the chief minister of the state, tweeted as he shared the news.

The rescue team dug up a 70-foot pit parallel to the borewell and a 15-foot tunnel was built to connect it to the borewell, Hindustan Times reported. However, poor weather conditions, rough terrain, and the presence of venomous creatures inside the well made the operation challenging, delaying the rescue, reports said.

A mother in the U.K rescued her 18-month-old baby boy last month after the toddler slipped and fell into a five-foot sewage drain while taking a stroll in the park. After the drain cover closed on top of the child, the quick-thinking mother jumped into the river of human waste and pulled her son to safety. The child was rushed to a hospital with a mild concussion but luckily did not have any broken bones.