A pizza receipt found next to the dead body of a 34-year-old man led to the arrest of a 12-year-old boy in Wisconsin.

The victim, identified as Brandon Felton, was found dead inside his Milwaukee home by his cousin on March 18, NBC News reported Wednesday.

Felton's cousin paid him a visit after he had not heard from him in days. Upon reaching the house, he found the door unlocked and the trunk of his car wide open. Felton was eventually located in a puddle of blood inside the house, reportedly three days after he was fatally shot on March 15.

While investigating the crime scene, police found a receipt for a pizza order near a shell casing.

"Police located a receipt in the living room on an end table ... That receipt was for a 'Domino's Pizza' order which showed an order for food was placed by 'Brandy'," an official complaint revealed.

When the police called the phone number listed on the receipt, they heard the voice of a "young-sounding male" who hung up after claiming he did not know anyone named Brandy.

Officials eventually met the young boy and his mother and during questioning, the former kept changing his story.

"The defendant then continuously stated that he did not order food that night and has never ordered food from Felton's house. He claimed he had no idea about the pizza and that Felton never used his phone to order food," the complaint said.

"The Defendant was then shown the receipt that was recovered from Felton's residence and was asked if he knew what happened to Felton. The Defendant replied he did not know, then was told that Felton was killed. The Defendant then stated he did not know about that (despite earlier indicating that his grandma informed him about what happened to Felton)."

The boy later admitted he was at Felton's house on March 15. He also claimed he witnessed someone named "Sam" shooting Felton and then fleeing with the deceased man's AR-15 and shotgun, according to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

After searching through the boy's phone, investigators found several incriminating messages, including him describing an idea of robbing Felton of his guns.

"I'm gonna do it to Brandan," read messages that the boy sent on March 15.

"Or should I kill him rm," read another message.

Investigators also found the boy's phone location data that revealed he was at Felton's home at around 7 p.m. when the pizza order was placed. The location data further indicated that the boy left the house around 9:30 p.m., only to return for another half an hour before finally reaching at his mother's house.

Felton often played video games with the accused boy, whose identity remains unknown, and other kids at his residence.

On March 20, the boy's mother told the police that her son lied to them in his statement. She added the boy was scared and confessed to murdering Felton after he refused to sell his guns to him.

The boy is being charged as an adult with first-degree intentional homicide. He is scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing on April 4.

Representational image
Representational image (Source: Pixabay / Alexandra_Koch) Pixabay / Alexandra_Koch