It wasn't a hug he yearned for. A jilted lover's attempt to burn a woman alive backfired when she held him tight, leading to his death.

Police said the man, identified as 30-year-old Vijay Khambe, knew the woman for close to three years. He began harassing the woman after she rejected his marriage proposal as he was addicted to alcohol.

On Feb.6, Khambe went to meet the woman while she was alone at home. As soon as the woman opened the door, he poured petrol on her and set her ablaze. While she was screaming for help, the accused stood at the door watching. The incident happened in India's financial capital Mumbai.

In an unexpected turn of events, the 28-year-old woman suddenly rushed toward Khambe and held him tight.

Hearing the screams, a neighbor rushed to the home and doused the fire. Both of them were rushed to a nearby hospital where Khambe, who sustained 90% burns, succumbed to death during treatment. The woman, whose identity was not revealed, suffered 80% burns.

"We have registered a case against deceased Vijay based on the complaint by the brother of the woman. Further investigations are on. Many details need to be investigated in the matter," a police officer said, India Today reported.

Local reports stated that the accused harassed the woman several times. Unable to take the harassment, she attempted to kill herself last month. She returned home Friday after spending over a week at the hospital.

The incident comes less than a month after an octogenarian in Mumbai stabbed his wife to death and torched her body to hide evidence. The couple got into a heated argument at their residence and the accused stabbed her multiple times with a knife. Their daughter-in-law, Prathiba, woke up the following morning and saw smoke coming out of the couple's room. Prathiba and her husband immediately broke open the door and found the woman dead with stab wounds. They also noticed burns on her body. The accused was later arrested from the neighborhood.

india crime
Representational image of police officials investigating a crime scene in Bangalore, Karnataka, in southern India, Sept. 5, 2017. MANJUNATH KIRAN/AFP/Getty Images