• At least seven people were shot during a justice rally for Breonna Taylor late Thursday
  • Around 500 to 600 protesters gathered to demand justice for Taylor's death
  • Taylor was shot and killed by Louisville Police while serving a "no-knock" warrant last March
  • The 26-year-old EMT was shot eight times and declared dead at the scene

At least seven people were shot, including one who was in critical condition, after protesters stormed the streets of Louisville, Kentucky as they demanded justice for the death of Breonna Taylor late Thursday (May 28).

Louisville Metro Police confirmed the shooting in an issued statement early Friday. It added that the incident led authorities to make “some arrests,” but police did not immediately provide the number of protesters that they arrested.

The statement also pointed to initial reports of gunfire around 11:30 p.m., said The Telegraph.

police car
This is a representational image of a police car. AFP / SAEED KHAN

Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said in a video statement that the victims – all of whom were civilians – were shot “from within the crowd,” although no police officers who were at the scene fired their weapons. Five were reported to be in “good condition,” while two were sent to surgery, he said, through NBC News.

“Understandably, emotions are high,” Fischer posted in his Twitter account following the shooting. He also attached a statement coming from Breonna's mother who said in a Facebook post that those who demand the truth, justice and accountability to “keep it peaceful.”

“Speak. Protest. But do not resort to violence. We demand change. We demand reform. But we do not need for our community to get hurt. We need for our community to get justice,” the post said.

Around 500 to 600 protesters took the streets of downtown Kentucky to pursue justice for Breonna Taylor, the 26-year-old Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) who was killed by Louisville police following a “no-knock” search warrant on her apartment last March.

At the time, Taylor was in her apartment with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker. According to NBC News, the two thought their apartment was being broken into, resulting in Walker firing at police after calling 911.

Louisville Police said the warrant was part of an ongoing investigation involving drug trafficking around a “trap house” 10 miles from Taylor's apartment. It became a target after the two suspects were allegedly seen “going to and leaving” Taylor's apartment several times.

Taylor was shot eight times and was declared dead at the scene. Walker on the other hand was arrested on charges of assault and attempted murder.