A man in Georgia has blamed paranormal spirits for allegedly attacking a baby girl.

Juan Francisco Lobo Hernandez, the last person to watch the child before she was found suffering from serious injuries, was arrested and facing charges.

The baby's condition came to light after the Cobb County Police Department responded to a call about a person at a Mableton address on April 20, according to WSB-TV.

The baby was taken to the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA), where the hospital medical staff found she had complex skull fractures, retinal hemorrhages and intracranial hemorrhages.

Medical professionals with the CHOA child protection team spoke to investigators about the infant's condition, and said it was not possible for the baby girl to inflict herself with such injuries. They also told the cops the injuries suggested that she had suffered blunt-force trauma to the head.

Investigators learned Hernandez was the last person to watch the baby before the hospital staff found the injuries.

When Hernandez was interrogated by cops, he blamed paranormal activity for disfiguring the child. He claimed a bad person or some spirit was trying to inflict suffering on his family, according to WFTV.

The man also told the cops he believed the baby girl might be possessed by a spirit or that he may have been possessed as well at the time the child was abused, according to a criminal warrant.

The exact age of the baby or details about her parents were not revealed by the police. The relationship between Hernandez and the child was also not known.

The man was charged with aggravated battery and first-degree cruelty to children. He was released from custody on bond.

A similar incident was reported last year after a 22-year-old Bronx mother claimed she stabbed her two sons to death because they were possessed. The mother, identified as Dimone Fleming, reportedly became obsessed with demonic possession and made "unusual" statements about the devil, the police said. Fleming's two children, 3-year-old Daishawn and 11-month-old Octavius, were found by investigators with multiple stab wounds to their neck and torso at a shelter. Acquaintances said the family had been living for about a year at the shelter before the children's murders.

Representational image (baby)
Representational image (Source: Pixabay / JillWellington) Pixabay / JillWellington