San Antonio, Texas -- A 43-year-old man lost his life after lighting up a firework on top of his head in San Antonio, Texas.

A friend of the victim said he had been drinking before performing the reckless stunt, leading to his near-sudden death amid the Fourth of July celebrations.

The deceased, identified as Pablo Ruiz, lit up a mortar-style firework on top of his head around 12:20 a.m. Tuesday at a residence in Harriman Place on the city’s Southwest Side, Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

Responding officers arrived and found Ruiz with severe head injuries. They could also see his brain matter exposed from the punctured skull.

He died shortly after officers arrived, according to KSAT 12.

The Bexar County Medical Examiner said his injuries seemed to be consistent with an explosion. When Ruiz shot off the firework, it exploded from the bottom of the mortar tube and instantly pierced his head.

A friend of the victim said they were drinking and lighting up fireworks when the accident took place.

Ruiz’s death follows a similar accident that involved an 11-year-old boy who sustained severe injuries and lost his life during a fireworks incident in Indiana.

Injuries and deaths caused by fireworks have been on the rise in the country. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said such incidents have increased by around 25% over the last decade and a half, according to the U.S. News and World Report.

Nine individuals were killed in fireworks-related incidents while 11,500 were injured in 2021.

“It’s imperative that consumers know the risks involved in using fireworks, so injuries and tragedies can be prevented. The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to watch the professional displays,” said CPSC Chair Alex Hoehn-Saric.

“CPSC’s Office of Compliance and Field Operations continues to work closely with other federal agencies to prevent the sale of illegal consumer fireworks,” he added.

CSPC advised people not to allow young children to ignite fireworks or play with them. They said it is best to keep a bucket of water or garden hose ready on the side in case of mishaps. Officials also urged the public to not mix alcohol or drugs with fireworks and to never point or throw them at anybody in the area.

Representative image Credit: Pixabay / meineresterampe