In this image, a Dobermann dog is seen running toward his trainer in Beirut, Lebanon, Oct. 27, 2010. JOSEPH EID/AFP/Getty Images

A man lost his arm after he was attacked by two dogs while fixing his clients’ car in New South Wales on June 21.

Speaking to the News Castle Herald on Tuesday, 43-year-old Brendan Clark said he went into “survival mode” post the attack. Clark, who is a mechanic, said he was fixing the car in the driveway of the customer’s property when he was attacked by the two "mongrels" bred for pig hunting.

Recalling the incident, he said, "One of the dogs sort of looked at me, and he's had a bit of a bark, and come towards me. I didn't think much of it. I told it to piss off and get back on the ute. It wasn't until he was right next to me... He launched at me and got a good grab at my shoulder. And as I went to reach around to try to rip him off, that's when the other one got the other arm, and I realized, 'You're in trouble boy'."

"They got me on the ground fairly quick, and as soon as I hit the deck I went, 'Righto. You're going to have to fight now, they are trying to kill you.’ One went for the face — he was heading for the throat, but he got a good bite on the face. I realized he was the main aggressor. I grabbed him by the collar and gripped my fingers in to keep him away. He started chewing on my arm, and I thought - 'You can have my arm, but you're not having my throat,’” he added.

"I grabbed the other dog as well. I had both hands locked in their collars and at first I was trying to choke them a bit to get them to let go. But it didn't take them long before both arms were not much use, and all I could do was hold them at bay. I could hear the bones breaking and the meat being ripped off... They were eating me alive," he continued.

Suddenly, he saw another dog approaching.

"Whether that dog was coming to join in or defend me, I'm not too sure, but the big one tore off and killed it, and they left me alone for a bit. Then they came back for a second crack at me. I tried to stay face down. I buried my face in the dirt and pushed my throat down to try to stop them from getting to my vitals. It was instinct,” he said, adding that the owner of the property found him around an hour after the attack began.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital with bite marks all over his body and with flesh ripped off both arms. Despite the best efforts of the doctors, one of his arms had to be amputated. Meanwhile, the dogs were put down immediately after the attack.