KEY POINTS

  • Piers Morgan claimed he received messages from royals who were grateful that he defended them
  • The former host said the support extended to his family, whom he claimed received online abuse as well
  • Morgan invited Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to sit down for an interview with him

Piers Morgan has claimed that he received private messages from members of the royal family thanking him for "standing up for them" following Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey last month

Morgan, a longtime critic of the couple, has defended the royal family against allegations of racism and other accusations made by the Sussexes, even calling their tell-all "an absolutely disgraceful betrayal of the Queen and the Royal Family." He quit his job as host of "Good Morning Britain"—allegedly after being asked to apologize to Markle—and continues to stand by his words.

In a recent interview with "Extra," Morgan claimed that he has "had a lot of support privately from a lot of people" – including the royal family.

"I’ve had some messages communicated to me on behalf of several members of the royal family who were grateful … that somebody was standing up for them," he was quoted by Page Six as saying.

When asked if these included messages from the "upper-level people," he declined to give a straight response and remained coy.

"Well, I’m not going to go into who it was," he said.

The support also extended to his family, especially his sons, who also received death threats from the "so-called liberals," according to the British TV personality.

"My wife’s always been completely supportive about this, but she hates the online abuse," he continued.

Last week, Morgan penned an article for Daily Mail in which he talked about the hate he received for criticizing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. According to him, none of his children care about Markle and her views, but a Twitter mob "found them guilty by association."

"But my three sons told me they too are all being targeted, and sent me screenshots of venomous abuse and threats of violence towards them, which made my stomach churn, especially as police are already investigating a death threat made to me and my eldest boy Spencer last month," he wrote.

He claimed one netizen even threatened to murder him in front of his kids. "One troll vowed to murder me in front of them, and added: 'When your dad dies, the world will have a party,'" Morgan said.

The former “GMB” co-host further said he wanted to have his own interview with the Sussexes. He invited Markle and Prince Harry to have an equally long interview with him where he plans to ask them difficult questions about their claims.

"But let me ask you a wider question, which is this: If you hate the royal family that much … why do you keep your royal titles?" Morgan directly addressed the pair, who are still known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. "Why would you do that if it’s just not to make millions and millions of dollars? And playing the victim, as you do, is nauseating."

Morgan also vehemently denied that his attacks against Markle are racist, saying those narratives are "deeply offensive." He also explained that he is as critical toward Prince Harry "and last time I checked, he was white." piers morgan and meghan markle TV host Piers Morgan, pictured at BritWeek's "Evening with Piers Morgan" on May 4, 2012 in Beverly Hills, California, has accused Duchess Meghan Markle, seen here at Al Manaar, North Kensington on Nov. 21, 2018 in London, of being a social climber. Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez/Chris Jackson/Getty Images