The deal is off between Sony and Marvel Studios but not for Tom Holland. Apparently, the 23-year-old actor gets to keep his role as Peter Parker in the upcoming Spider-Man films.

Holland could still continue to play the role of our friendly neighborhood, Spider-Man, possibly only for Sony and not with connection to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, CNet reported. Apparently, there are two more Spider-Man films in the books according to sources which reportedly told the news outlet Deadline, Comic Book reported.

There are no details yet on the storyline of the upcoming Spider-Man films but the said report said that Jon Watts would be directing these movies. Considering the reports, it would seem that fans won’t be missing Holland in character, throwing off some webs after all.

A few days before this big news broke, Holland uploaded an elevator selfie on his Instagram account and captioned “Back to work.” One can only speculate because Holland’s uploaded snap did not clearly indicate whether he's back on shooting a new Spider-Man film or a totally different project.

The cause being pointed for the Sony-Disney split was disagreement. Sources revealed that Disney wanted a 50/50 share in order for Marvel and Kevin Fiege to continue with the upcoming Spider-Man films. However, Sony refused to meet the terms at hand, Deadline reported.

The talks about these terms had been ongoing for quite awhile according to the sources and if only Sony agreed to Disney’s conditions, Marvel and Fiege would have not pulled out from the Spider-Man films. But in a statement reportedly released by Sony, on Tuesday, the decision to remove Marvel Studio’s head, Fiege, to spearhead the Spider-Man movie production wasn’t Sony’s decision, rather it was Disney’s.

Holland made his first appearance as the superhero Spider-Man in Marvel Cinematic Universe’s “Captain America: Civil War” in 2016. Subsequently, he starred “Spider-Man: Homecoming” in 2017. He entered the world of Avengers when he made his appearance in “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame,” in 2018 and 2019, respectively. In 2019, Sony released another stand-alone Spider-Man film, “Spider-Man: Far From Home.”

The implications of Marvel pulling out from Spider-Man films aren’t certain, at least for now. But fans are hopeful to see Spidey back in MCU. Holland’s co-star even made an appeal to Sony. Even Jeremy Renner, actor who played the Hawkeye’s character in the "Avengers" films, took it to Twitter and plead Sony pictures how they would want Spider-Man back. The said appeal was even supported by fans.

 

 

 

 

Despite the latest news which devastated most, if not all, Marvel fans, many are still hopeful to see Holland’s Spider-Man character back in the MCU.